Sunday, September 14, 2008

Part Toe-Sephenn

I'm dancing with the pink-lipped harlequin. We're in a field of poppies, burning bright. Sometimes he bites, he growls, he snorts haughtily, but I cling to his shoulders and try to keep in rhythm. In his diamond-patterned costume I assume he has knives hidden, but that's only a thought, we're swirling so fast I could never check. We stop. We step apart and look at each other. His disapproving glare puts tears in my eyes. I'm not a very good dancer, I'm not fast enough for him. I show him my picture of Madame Blavatsky and for a moment I seem to have his attention.

'Stand your ground chief,' the phantom ape says, 'stand your ground.'

He takes a knife out of his vest pocket and throws it at my feet.
'I'm not a saint', I say, 'and I can be a coward at times, unable to move.'
He looks at me, puzzled. I keep talking.
'I can be very forgiving, but I don't easily forget. And I'm edgy. I'm too sensitive. I pick up other people's moods too easily. I require lengthy explanations for things that shouldn't be explained in the first place, and yet I still wonder what is going on. I hear something, twist it around and then twist some more until I can't sleep at night and start shaking. I'm not acting very confident. My brain doesn't function like other people's, and that I experience things differently, so naturally I turn to others for guidance, and I trust, I believe, I dive in, but what if they're wrong? I'm a taciturn man, I'm an observer. I notice little things and changes around me. I skip the bigger picture and focus on the details. I'm mindful of the way things are said. The tone of voice, the matter in, the choice of words, details that are left out, but I can't trust my observations. They're coloured, I project too much into them, it all turns out clumsy and ambivalent. There's no more black and white left, everything's gray and shrouded. No more clear options, just choices you make to get to the next day. The grounding's gone. No words etched in stone, just acting on impulses and spilling out random thoughts. By every choice I make right now, my entire life changes. All I have is myself to rely on ultimately, and I can't trust my own twisted version of subjective reality. It is your fault, isn't it? You are doing this to me. These little games you are fond of playing.'
The pink-lipped harlequin takes the picture of Madame Blavatsky out of my hand .
'Are you going to take that away from me? You can't, you see. I need that picture. I was just showing you so you would understand. So you would see her eyes and understand. She knows and she's always looking. She can see right through all the chaos and nonsensical rubbish. Without her looking I'd be lost.'
He grins, folds the picture and puts it into his vest pocket.
'Naturally. It's all variations to the same theme. I'm going now, someone's waiting for me at the edge of the field. At least, he said he would. I sometimes doubt he will, but that's another story. I'm still going. Please give back the picture.'
The pink-lipped harlequin turns away his head and I silently start marching to the end of the field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again I can see you staring at the end of a cliff. A few more steps and you could be lost. You scream words but I can’t understand. “Wait” — now, wondering if you can still hear my own humming voice, calling you to look back, to come home and stay close. It makes me scared to see you standing there. Fogg and Mysts have surrounded and in this blur this chaos any hand would turn into knifes, actually reaching out for yours. The sound of wind “A storm might be coming” when your fear for your own imagination that drives you near to the edge of the cliff. “I can’t go there” - I don’t want to.
“Stay on the ground”. “Rocks and moss. Only rocks and moss.”
You are blinded; your eyes been fooled by a field shining bright. Open your eyes, so gray can be white. The field is full of hidden places to hide treasures, meet new and old friends, gather food and keeps save - yes it is – Or have we forgotten the dark places that lie at the end of ours. “Well, I hear that the forest on the South is save though”; it’s hasn’t been entered for years but has become a believe to Loyalty, Love and Imagination. Elves and Wizard-friends are there to assist us — “We could better ask them for the right steps, to dance” –
“I heard that beyond these woods lays a city of Words of whom were never spoken before. I don’t have your picture of Madame Blavatsky – it couldn’t have been me”. I wonder if you noticed, but any harlequin who wears a diamond-patterned costume couldn’t be all that real. You can tell by the bad taste and a fake smile to superlative the word “Clown”. Did you invite this creature into our home, or has she entered without knocking on our door? This picture reminds me but doesn’t show a form I can identify with.
“It’s just imagination”- without Loyalty nor Love.
I can see you standing at the North of the field, but can’t hear you. I wonder where you are going, and – actually - what we’ll be doing tomorrow – maybe I should ask . You spoke of someone waiting – I can’t see. Maybe he’s not for me to see, maybe he couldn’t hear your echo near cliffs or has he at sea and awaiting bright light. A signal of some sort.
I can see you standing at the end of our field – a reflection of my imagination – where you speak: “Maybe we can build a home, near Elves and Wizards.”